Camen Foundation is proud to announce our flagship initiative- The Camen Foundation Behavioral Health Services Scholarship Fund. We will be awarding scholarships for children and families in need of behavioral health services.
Camen Foundation is a non-profit organization with the mission to ensure that all families have the tools and therapy, traditional and/or non-traditional, available to them so that every child can achieve their maximum potential. We are dedicated to impacting the health of children, their families and communities through reactive and preventative initiatives. To fulfill that mission, we provide funding for individual children with specific needs when insurance and other financial resources have been exhausted. We also create and support programs that identify issues before they become critical and that empower people to take charge of their health.
Our vision is to provide all available resources to individuals with special needs that otherwise cannot afford them in order to help them become independent adults.
About Our Scholarship Program
Camen Foundation offers financial assistance to individuals who can provide a proof of diagnosis of a developmental disability to help cover the costs of therapy, education, equipment, and other direct needs of the individual not covered by insurance or Medicaid. The maximum scholarship amount is $1000.00 per individual per calendar year.
Scholarships will be allocated based on annual fundraising activities. The Board of Directors will determine the number and amounts of each scholarship at the beginning of each term. Once we determine how much we can give each quarter, we review the following items when considering approval of a scholarship request:
- Completion of scholarship application – The application must be completed in its entirety to be reviewed.
- Amount of scholarship request – Typical scholarship awarded range between $100 – $1,000.
- Household income – While we have not set an income level cap, incomes below $100,000 per year are reviewed first.
- Type of treatment requested – Our mission is to fund effective treatments, assessments and needed life supports.
- Numbers of family members with diagnosis – Applications from families with multiple children with diagnoses are reviewed first.
Camen Foundation relies solely on private donations and grants to be able to fulfil our mission to assist families in need. Because funding is limited, we must therefore restrict our financial assistance at this time to children residing in within Florida.
Should your scholarship be awarded, you will be asked to complete a short questionnaire regarding your experiences as a result of the funding you received. We also encourage families to share photos and stories. Once approved for a scholarship, families have 12 months to use the funds. Applicant receiving a scholarship agrees to repay the scholarship if any services paid for with the scholarship are reimbursed by another funding source, such as, a school district or insurance company.
- The child must be 18 years of age or younger (a person 19–21 may be considered if they are in a child-like mental state)
- The child must be under the care of a pediatrician
- The case must involve a child with a specific health care need
- The request must be clinically relevant to the health of the child
- There must be no existing insurance coverage for the requested expenses
- One request per year, per child for a maximum of three times in a child’s lifetime
- Treatment: Clinical procedures, medicine, therapy, prosthesis, etc.
- Equipment: Assistive technology equipment, care devices, hearing aids, etc.
Expenses not covered:
- Home modification projects
- Alternative or experimental drugs, treatment or therapy where there is controversy in the medical community
- Requests for research funding, mass population grants or other not-for-profit organizational grants
- Requests for debt reduction/past medical bills
- Copays or deductibles
- Therapy dogs
- Transportation requests (cars, car repair, transportation passes, air travel)
- Personal Needs (rent, utilities, family vacations)